Monday, January 24, 2011

Mt Baker, Cascade Boarding.

I thought I would share some pictures from last week's trip to Bellingham and the Cascades. My parents both live in Bellingham and Ruth and I go that way, too infrequently, to see my parents and to board Mt Baker, home of the world record for single season snowfall.
Above: Mt Baker
Below: Ruth & Sonia
Our first day of boarding we were accompanied by Sonia & Randy, friends of ours from down south. They were in Washington on plans of their own so it was nice to get a day on the slopes with them. And what a cool day it turned out to be. 6-12 new inches of snow, with more coming down. I had a great day getting reacquainted with Baker.
Below: The Nooksack River
Ruth and I spent that first day pushing around perfect sugar powder. There were no lift lines. The food at White Salmon was still good and the lodge cat made an appearance. The white continued to fall from gray skies. I had already uncovered many of my favorite tree trails and bumps and jumps. By mid-afternoon an icy breeze had sprung and a fog began pouring down the mountain. Time to call it an amazing day and a nice evening catching up with my parents.
Day 2 out of 3 dawned gray, gloomy windy and rainy in Bellingham however Ruth and I did sally forth on the off chance that the weather on Baker, 53 miles away, was somehow miraculously ideal. This was not the case, so we went back to Bellingham and hung out for the rest of the day. That evening Ruth and my parents and I had dinner at North Fork Pizza with Ruth's super-nice great aunt, Sharon. Good food, good people.
Above: Sunrise on freshy
Below: Ruth, zooming on by
Below: Pow-day!

Above and below: Mt Shooksan
As you may have guessed from the pictures, our third day at Baker was just stunning with 6 new inches overnight. This is why we board Baker. Take a look at these shots! Blue sky, powder, and possibly the most picturesque views of any ski resort in America! It was our last day and we charged it until the lifts stopped.
Above: Guy hiking up to the out of bounds stuff
Below: The Cascades across the way

Above and below: an eerie fog drops over the ridge

Above: End of the day
Above and Below: Ruthie
Thanks, Mom & Dad for everything. It was nice to see you.
Below: Chuckanut Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment