Monday, February 25, 2013

Tule Elk, Carrizo Plain National Monument


During one of my recent weekends spent trawling the Carrizo for fascinating stuff I happened to encounter a small herd of nine tule elk. This was an awesome moment, seeing elk in the wild just 40 miles in a straight line from the Southern California coast. In my four recent trips I've seen quite a bit of wildlife, coyotes and weasels and raptors and such, but this was really neat. I'd still like to catch a glimpse of the pronghorn antelope that are slowly repopulating the plain. Maybe I'll get lucky. This herd spotted me with ease and quickly bolted away.





3 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    Up Santa Paula creek near Cienega Camp the other week I saw a HUGE animal in the forest. It became startled and thumped away up the hillside. Could it have been a tule elk? It seemed too large to be a California mule deer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I don't know what you saw. Can't even begin to guess. I swear I've seen elk prints near Buckhorn, and I heard a rumor a years ago that some elk had gotten off one of the Tejon hunting clubs, so I suppose anything is possible. But I kind of doubt it. There are probably some big critters up in Bear Haven though, which is right next door. -DS

    ReplyDelete