Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Stone & Sun, Pine Mountain 10/07/12

 Ruth and I ran up to Pine Mountain at the tail-end of a busy work week on my end. I needed the clean air and sunlight of PM. I also needed some time on the rocks (good for head). We couldn't have asked for a nicer day up there, sunny, clear, 70's. Some of you might think that since Ruth and I have been married for 10 years, it would seem reasonable to assume that she's been climbing all this time. That assumption would be wrong. Ruth has been undergoing a spiritual re-birth of sorts and has been exploring new things. As far as the climbing thing goes, today was the first time she's ever been on a rope outdoors. A big deal. I was able to throw a top-rope (TR) on the biggest rock (25') that the Picnic Rocks has to offer. This TR offered three different aspects of the rock, a corner and face routes on each side of the corner.

Ruth says she had a great time and I believe her. It was obvious. She ended up climbing the boulder six times by the time we took the rope down. I admit that she seems to have an unusually good knack, much more than beginners' luck, if there is such a thing in climbing. Maybe I should simply say that she has "intrinsic natural ability". After playing on the TR we spent some time bouldering, after which we took a little stroll around Enlightenment Ridge. Later this week we'll have Darren Ogden start putting her through a belay course down at Vertical Heaven in Ventura. I'm starting to envision a November JTree trip. I'm a pretty happy guy right now.



The sound of one hand slapping.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment