Friday, November 22, 2013

Tar Creek 11/22/13

12/10/13: The US Forest Service will be enforcing access restrictions to Tar Creek soon. TC is part of the Condor Sanctuary established as critical habitat to this endangered bird and other wildlife. Epic numbers of visitors, and the trash and graffiti they have left behind, has led to the acknowledgment by the Forest Service that access must be curtailed and enforced. For more information on the impending action visit: Tar Creek Closure.

On this cold and blustery day I was joined by Chris Ferrier, he of the condor's wingspan and giant's stride. We enjoyed a simple day of exercise and conversation, with topics ranging from layman's astrophysics to the rise and fall of civilizations. Tar may not be much of a creek right now but I never lose my fascination with that canyon. We came armed with trash bags but found to my great delight that some person(s) had already been through, clearing 98% the summer's litter away. A huge tip of my hat goes to them. They have my gratitude. 


 








No comments:

Post a Comment